Nutrition counseling is now covered by a wider number of plans than ever before thanks to increased insurance coverage for preventative care. Before scheduling your first visit, call your insurance provider and see if nutrition counseling is covered. Fueled and Fed Nutrition is in-network with CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield. This is not a guarantee of coverage as different plans within CareFirst have different coverage.
To check your eligibility for nutrition counseling, call the number on the back of your insurance care and ask the questions below. You are responsible for checking coverage as well as for payment of services not covered by your individual plan. We can check to see if you have a copay, coinsurance, or a deductible to meet before insurance covers payment if you have CareFirst BCBS.
- Does my plan include nutrition counseling benefits for CPT codes 97802, 97803 and/or S9470?
- Do I have any nutrition counseling benefits covered under the preventative care portion of my plan?
- Is a doctor’s referral required?
- Is there a limit on the number of visits I am allowed?
- Are there any restricted diagnoses? Is nutrition counseling covered for ICD-10 code Z71.3? (i.e. Is nutrition counseling only covered for diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. or is it covered for general health and wellbeing?)
For clients who do not participate in CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield, payment for services is due at the time of appointment. You can be provided a superbill that you can send to your insurance company for possible reimbursement.